Friday 31 August 2012

Strawberry Vacherin

Every family has a certain cake that is requested year after year on birthdays. Well for us, it's a strawberry vacherin. Now this is no basic chocolate cake and it is more a dessert rather than an afternoon tea treat. It is, however, very easy to make and very versatile. Above all it tastes delicious!




Today was the perfect time to make it, not only is it my beautiful Mum's birthday, but Toblerone is half price and strawberries are coming back in season.

The original recipe is from Delicious, however it can be found here. The first few times I made it, I followed the recipe verbatim, however now I tend to make 4 smaller rounds and add an extra layer of strawberries in the middle. Like any chocoholic I also double the Toblerone quantity. If you're feeling lazy use almond meal rather than roasting and grinding blanched almonds, it won't have the same depth of flavour but no-one will notice!
Assembling the layers (top layer not shown)

You can play around with the filling however you like. Although any type of berry is a firm favourite, i've also tried it with mango. If you don't like Toblerone, plain chocolate would work fine.

Please give this recipe a go, it really is beautiful. I can't believe it has taken me this long to blog about it!

Happy Birthday Mum!

Sarah xx