Saturday 19 November 2011

Homage to My Brother - Tempeh 'Non Carne'

It's widely known in my family that my brother's famous dish is his chilli con carne. It was in fact his only dish for several years! So when i stumbled across a recipe for Tempeh Chilli Con Carne in the Thermomix Vegetarian cookbook i knew it had to be made asap. I actually didn't end up following the recipe as i wanted to make a version that would remind me of my brother's as i haven't eaten his dish for many years since becoming vegetarian. In addition to the chilli, i also made a quick guacamole (1 avocado, juice of 1 lime and 5 sprigs coriander blitzed up) and cooked my rice in the Thermomix.

It took all of 20 minutes to cook the chilli then another 12 for the rice and 1 for the guacamole. I'd say that's a quick meal given that you don't need to actually stand and cook the whole time - you can write blog posts in the meantime!

Thank for the inspiration Sam - i had a delicious dinner! Hope i didn't completely bastardise your version! I think some of the leftovers will be turned into jaffle fillings, on baked potato and in wraps. I love versatile recipes!

Sarah xx


Tempeh 'Non Carne' serves 4
1 onion, quartered
2 cloves garlic
1 long red chilli
200g tempeh, roughly chopped
15g oil
400g tin diced tomatoes
2 tbsp tomato paste
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp coriander
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (or to taste)
1/2 tbsp vegie stock concentrate
400g tin kidney beans.

Place onion, garlic and chilli into Thermomix bowl and chop for 3 seconds on speed 6.
Add tempeh and oil into bowl and pulse twice then saute for 4 minutes at 100C on reverse & speed soft.
Add all other ingredients except kidney beans and cook for 8 minutes at 100C on reverse & speed soft.
Add kidney beans and cook for 1 minute at 100C on reverse & speed soft.

Serve with guacamole and steamed rice.